Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Generalization

Every day, for the past week or so , Emily has been begging me to bring her CD player to school. Every day, I say no. My reasons for saying no vary, but mostly it is because I don' think it's appropriate. I don't think toys of any kind including electronics (CD players, IPODS whatever) belong at school. When you are on the bus, socialize. When you are at school, pay attention and learn all you can. When you have free time or recess, socialize, play on the playground, or study. Am I wrong about this? I was never allowed to (and honestly don't even remember asking to) bring anything to school that wasn't strictly for the purposes of school. I sort of feel bad but I am not giving in. How do you feel about this?

As per usual, in an attempt to find the humor in what was almost a complete meltdown for Emily this morning, I quote for you part of the conversation we had:

"No Emily, you can not bring it to school. It is against the rules of this house, no matter what. Other families may have different rules and that is why they bring their CD players in. Our rules are our rules."

Emily's response?

"But Mom, every 8 year old on the bus has one, and no, I am not making a generalization."

I am not making a generalization? What?!?! She's eight. You know, sometimes what amazes me about Emily is not always what she knows (like the word generalization) it's that she knows just how to use what she has learned at the most appropriate time, and without any hesitation.

Of course, her saying this made me have one of those moments as a parent that I am supposed to be acting all serious and whatever, and I ended up being unable to stifle the laugh. It worked out well for me this time though, because she started laughing too and the conversation ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment