Monday, January 30, 2006

Confidence...A Good Thing

Yesterday, Emily was wandering around the house singing the remixed version of "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes." She came over to me and said, "I am going to sing this when I go on American Idol...and I know I am going to Hollywood."

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that she won't succeed in everything she does, with a confidence level like that. I really do believe that much of the reason behind a person's success is the attitude they have going in.

Confidence was something I never had, and still don't to a degree. I am glad that Emily does.

She'll go far for many reasons...not the least of which is her faith in her ability to succeed.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want my kids to have that sort of confidence and hope not to do anything, even inadvertently, to crush it. It can't possibly have been intentional - except maybe the school system's role - but to this day I feel like my upbringing and education were all about crushing self-confidence and making sure I wound up with as little as possible. It worked well, especially considering that my base nature is to be about as ballsy as they come, which still shows through now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I don't ever remember my parents doing anything to crush it per se, but I don't really remember them doing/saying anything to inspire it either. I think it's both nature and nurture though...some people are born with confidence (my sister Heather is one of them) and some need a little "confidence boosting" every once in a while(me). In regard to the school system, that's one of the many reasons I love Middleboro so much. They seem to do a lot to boost confidence, even if just by providing means to inspire it (reading night, math night, literacy bags, hall of photos etc).

    ReplyDelete