Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Julia

I just got off of the phone with the developmental pediatrician regarding Julia's "middle of the night" fits. She, like everyone else agrees that Julia's behavior is not what would be considered "normal" for her age. That, culminated with the fact that these fits are occuring in the middle of the night, without any apparent trigger, had her about as concerned as I am.

What we have decided to do is see if it happens again. If it does, I am going to page her and we will set up a 24 hour VEEG (Video EEG). Emily had this done when she had her overnight at the hospital way back when. Of course, she was older and left the leads alone. Julia obviously wouldn't and would need something to, not neccesarily put her under, but something to put her in a semi concious state so that they could attach the leads and so that she would keep them on. It would mean an overnight at the hospital which would be fine.

So, let's all hope that this doesn't happen again, and that if it does, they will find absolutely nothing on the VEEG.

I can still remember the feeling I got in my stomach when the doctor came back in after interpeting Emily's results.

I even remember exactly what he said.

"There is definitely seizure activity, mostly in her parietal lobe, on the right side, but we also see activity in other areas as well."

I remember thinking two things.

1. I can't believe they can look at a bunch of lines and from that, tell me that my daughter has this awful disease.

2. Oh my God, there is something wrong with my daughter's brain.

This was before I changed my thinking and realized there wasn't something wrong with her brain, there was something different about her brain and that it made her who she is.

Anyway, I am rambling here. I just can't imagine going through this with another child.

Let's hope we don't have to.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don't have to, too, but you have the tools now.

    If the doctor says Julia has a seizure disorder, at least now you know what that means, and you know what to do for her.

    It'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete