Monday, July 3, 2006

Major Problem

Ryun's car (finally) shit the bed. It does have over 190,000 miles on it so I guess I can't complain too much...it's just the timing of course, SUCKS.

Does this happen on a week where I don't need a car? You know the answer to that before I even tell you, don't you?

Julia has OT today which, is no big deal if she misses it. Ryun will be home tomorrow so we wil be able to get to my parents in my car (which still, would have been no big deal if we had to miss it).

Wednesday though? Yeah, that would be Emily's EEG...and I won't be home until probably Friday.

So begins the car shuffle.

We actually have a car just "waiting" for Ryun in the garage. It needs a new exhaust manifold, brakes and shocks, all of which Ryun can do but given the fact that tomorrow is the holiday there would be no way we could have it fixed and legally on the road by Wednesday.

So the plan is to have Ryun fix the brakes tomorrow while he's home. Find a way (by borrowing a car on Wednesday perhaps from my mother) for him to get to work. Thursday he'll take Katherine and Julia all over creation (insurance company, registry and inspection station) to get the car legal (due to the exhaust leak we know it will get rejected but hey, at least it will be legal and buy us the time we need for him to fix it).

I just hope it all works out the way I have it planned in my head!

CARS BREAKING SUCKS!

*UPDATE* Mom is letting us use her car! YAY!

4 comments:

  1. Doh!

    We're figuring the Sentra could do this any time, but except for increasing "personality" it just keeps going. The new thing is the cowl around the fan is so rusty it keeps bending to where the fan rubs it. Then when I want to close the hood, I have to use a screwdriver to reset the latch release. Which has been a problem most of the time I owned the car, but is no longer resettable from in the car. It was always pull the release, open the hood, do whatever, push the release, close the hood.

    I was telling Deb that when the car dies someone could take out the motor, replace the rustier exterior bits, tune it up, and put it in another car for another 200,000 miles; it's that good. For the Sentra it's all about the infrastructure, or it'll be something like the transmission or steering or whatnot. The thing eevn still looks surprisingly good after a carwash.

    My plan was to replace it by the end of September, when the sticker expires, but it may come down to exactly how it behaves. Big thing is if anything that costs more than, say, $100, breaks on it, we'll probably decide it's time, and hope I am not far from a large paycheck that I can spend 2-3k on a car out of without it being a total disaster.

    We were actually waxing sentimental enough last night to realize and regret we probably won't be bringing home baby3 in the Sentra. But that'd mean commitment to keeping it on the road for probably a year longer than I'd otherwise expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...so I am assuming that means you guys are hoping to get pregnant by the end of 06?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. July and August are fine months for babies, don't you think? Apart from the little detail of the height of the preganancy being in summer. Ouch.

    But seriously, we'll see what happens. Three's the limit unless something weird happens, and with our insane fertility (and ages) we're best off getting it over with.

    Apart from its condition, a third is the big thing that makes a replacement car necessary, and at that we could temporarily take two vehicles anywhere we all have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. July/August sounds good to me! I was lucky, Summer of 04 wasn't too bad heat wise when I was pregnant with Julia, but as a person who's hot even whenit's not hot out, I was pretty miserable towards the end there!

    ReplyDelete