Friday, July 14, 2006

Deer

I have lived in Middleboro for 3 years and have not seen a deer (well, except the one that darted out across 44 a couple of months back...may have still been in Carver though), until last night.

Before we moved here to this house in Middleboro, we lived in the middle of nowhere, just down the street. Our house was set way off of the road, with a cranberry bog in front of it and miles and miles of woods behind it. There were many times where I could go out back, look down the tracks and actually see the hunters out there with there orange vests, rifles slung over their backs. I thought for sure, that there would be some morning, that I would look out my bedroom window and see a deer. Heck we saw everything else...rabbits, chipmunks, the geese that lived on the pond that fed the bogs, a great blue herron that lived there as well, the freakin' hawk that circled all of the time. We once even saw a horse come through (ok so it broke out of a barn somewhere), but still, I never saw a deer.

So the other night, Ryun took Emily to see "Superman Returns." In order to get to the theater you have to drive by our old house. Surely you know where this is going.

He glanced over, and saw a deer, just outside what was our bedroom sliders that looked out over the deck and the back yard. Figures, right?

Even here, we aren't quite as secluded as we were there but we still have a ton of woods out beyond our back yard. Not too long ago, I was talking to my neighbor and he told me about all the deer he has seen, grazing just along the tree line that marks the official end of yard. So of course, I have been looking...and not seen one. My other neighbor came over a couple of weeks ago and told me about the coyotes that are out back there as well (I can actually hear them barking some nights) so that could explain the absence of the deer.

Last night I came home late after my meeting and food shopping. I stepped back out on to the deck after bringing in an armload of groceries and what should run out from the side of our house across the front yard and in to the street? A deer.

Of course it was dark and the deer was running (because hello that 's what they do) . The photographer in me is itching to happen upon a deer in the wild and actually get a picture. It will happen. I'll make sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment