Sunday, May 20, 2007

The End Of An Era (Or Two)

After 37 years as an elevator constructor with the International Union Of Elevator Constructors, my father has retired and become and employee of the state. He is officially a "state elevator inspector" now. The kids think that is way cool because he has an official badge that says right on it, "Department of Public Safety" and looks unmistakeably like a State Police badge.

In other retirement news, my Uncle will be retiring from his post as the President of the Building and Construction Trades Department of the AFL-CIO. There is quite a nice writeup about him here.

It's a family thing, the elevator business. Besides my husband, father and uncle, I have another uncle and two cousins that are members in one way or another.

For all of the controversy there seems to be about unions, they certainly have done well by my family, immediate and extended.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhh yes the IUEC put food on my table for 32 years.

    He'll probably be seeing my dad around the hood with "elevator stuff"

    ReplyDelete