Monday, October 31, 2005

WTF

In a heated discussion at the Halloween party regarding medical emergencies, I found out that a paramedic/firefighter/police officer will not enter your house if you have an "uncontained" dog running around. I'm sorry what?

Apparently, they have to take their own safety in to account before tending to the person in trouble.

So I'm like, "My daughter is breathing her last breath on the living room floor, for all intents and purpose going to die, ok die without immediate emergency care, and the medic or whatever is going to stand at the front door and watch while I chase the damn dog around the house?" And who actually thinks I would leave my child's side for even a second to grab the damn dog (please note that I do not even have a dog, this is just on principle)?

"Hey sorry kid, got to go get Baxter, please don't hold it against me. Really, I'm sorry, but officer Joe might get attacked by the dog so you know, just keep gasping for air, or bleeding from the head and don't worry while your mother, the person you have always counted on for support goes to contain the dog."

I'm sorry but that is just wrong on so many counts.

Someone pointed out that if the dog did attack (who the hell has an attack dog with kids in the house?) the medic, firefighter, or officer who would help my kid? I was like, "Have you ever been in an emergency situation in this area?" I have...and guess what? Emergency personnel show up in flocks (police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks galore were in my driveway when Emily had her first and second seizures) when a call comes in. One person down isn't going to matter. Besides, my daughter is dying. Hello?

Emergency personnel take their jobs knowing full well that they may be putting themselves in harms way. You might get bit by a dog while trying to save the life of a child. SO SORRY.

As you can tell, I feel rather strongly about this. How do you feel? And if there are any medical/emergency professionals out there, is there any truth to this or were my firefighter friends just talking out of their ass?

3 comments:

  1. They better be kidding about that! Do firefighter ever take their own safety into accout when they run straight into a burning building on the brink of collapse? And they get all worried about a dog? Damn, the authorities suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that's a good point. In my "attack" I never even mentioned that. I might have to see how they respond to that next time I see them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I took an EMT course a few semesters back and it IS true to an extent. They do NOT have to come in if they feel threatened by the dog, but generally they would anyway. If your dog is vicious and attacking them, they are within their rights to not come in. Usually what they'll do though is "rapid transport" which, as the name implies means get the kid in the ambulance asap and do all their work in their en route to the hospital. I was surprised when I learned that too. It's the same for bar fights and gang stuff: if you're being threatened you can leave. Kinda scary, huh?

    ReplyDelete