Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

I am not sure if I will have time to say it tomorrow, or will be in any condition to say it when we get home from The Utley's 3rd Annual New Year's Eve Bash, so, I am saying it now!

I suppose it would be appropriate to post some goals and resolutions for the coming year. It's kind of funny...I have done this before...made resolutions, plans and goals. This year though, something feels different...different in a good way. I think I might actually stick to them. I feel like I am better at forcing myself to do something than I used to be...even things like taking Julia to her weekly playgroup or making sure I get Emily to voice lessons and Katherine to Girl Scouts. In the not so distant past, if I didn't want to do something, I just didn't do it. Nothing else mattered...the benefit Julia would get from the playgroup, the money we paid for voice lessons, or the enjoyment Katherine derived from being a Girl Scout. Nothing else really mattered, including the guilt I would feel after not having done one of these things. These are just examples, and let me tell you, things were a lot worse than that.

Anyway, things are just different now. I actually care about things other than wallowing in my own misery. I also realize that doing things like you know, leaving my house are actually good for me and make me feel good.

With that said, here are some of my goals for this year, along with some steps I have already taken or am planning on taking to achieve them:

1. Lose some weight. I say some with emphasis because, well, I am not going to say, "I wanna lose X amount of pounds." Less pressure that way and, I figure if the scale at this time next year reads even a little less than it does this year, that's a goal accomplished. Anytime I have read anything anywere about successful weight loss it has always indicated that keeping track of what you eat is imperative. So, I went out and bought a journal to do just that. I figure it takes very little time to write down what I am eating and it certainly will help keep me in check. I also went out and purchased "The Biggest Loser Cookbook" which along with some fantastic recipes, also explains the diet and exercise plan that the contestants follow on the show. Did anyone watch it this year? The guy that won lost 214 pounds. Now if I lost that much weight I'd be dead but he's an inspiration. That's some serious hard work and dedication he put in. I am hoping to hop on the treadmill 3-4 times per week, and getting up at the crack of dawn to do so (being honest, as tough as it is to get up any earlier than my usual 6:15-6:30, this is the only time I know that I will have the motivation to do it). I think I am going to go with a M-W-F schedule, with maybe a weekend day thrown in for good measure. Since I am planning on starting this on Tuesday (tomorrow is pasta fest at Adam and Jean's so I figure it will be my last chance to be "bad) when I food shopped on Thursday I bought all kinds of good for me (and the fam) foods including: apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, cucumber, tomatoes, fresh broccoli, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, Ezekiel bread, and probably a few other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

2. I would really like to achieve more financial responsibility and know how. Because I know me and how I am, even despite my recent change in to, well a happy person, I know that money burns a hole in my pocket. So, I am planning on having Ryun set up a separate savings account in his name and having 75% of any money I make with lia sophia directly deposited in to that account. The other 25% will be my "play" money and also the money I use to order business supplies etc. Ryun is also getting a raise in January which will mean about an extra $200 per month. That too will be going in to a savings account. In the immediate (not right now but defintely not too far off in to the future) we will need to be thinking about purchasing a car, as mine has almost 150,000 miles on it. It still runs fine but, when it gets up there in mileage, you just don't know. In the distant future (but hopefully not too distant...like maybe in a couple of years) we would like to buy a house (we rent our house now). Saving money will be necessary for either of these things to happen.

3. I am going to actively pursue obtaining a degree in some sort of early childhood education type area. I still have to further explore what exactly I want to do but I am leaning toward obtaining my Early Intervention Certification so I need to investigate what is needed etc and go from there. I am in the process of figuring this all out!

4. Last but not least, I am going to potty train Julia...which will be one goal that will be accomplished immediately as I am starting this on Tuesday! Can we say bye bye diapers? Sure we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment