Saturday, December 23, 2006

"The Talk"

So, last night, I had to tell the kids something that I have known for a while, but was postponing telling them. I was putting it off because I still didn't want to believe it myself, but mostly because I had no idea how to say it.

Last night though, I managed to get up the nerve (or whatever you want to call it ) and I told them.

I told them that Auntie Suzanne (my sister) and Uncle John were getting a divorce.

It went a lot like I pictured it in my head. Katherine said, "So, does this mean that Uncle John and Auntie Suzanne won't be coming to Mimi and Papa's house together anymore?" I thought to myself, "It means a heck of a lot more than that" but what I said, (to keep it as simple as possible for a 7 year old) was, "Yes." She was fine with that and only later asked one more question which was, "Where does Uncle John live now?" I told her and that was about it for her.

Emily? She burst in to tears and ran up to her room. It took all I had not to cry with her (especially when she said things like, "I am not even going to be excited on Christmas now" and "I never want to go to school again because I am afraid I might burst out crying") but I somehow managed not to and just sat there with her.

I had thought about putting it off until after the holidays but I figured it would be a little awkward if they noticed John wasn't there on Christmas and asked why. They are also going to spend the night at Suzanne's on Tuesday and obviously, if they hadn't noticed his absence at Christmas dinner, they would definitely notice it then.

I am quite sure that this was part of my lack of Christmas spirit, even if I couldn't pinpoint it at the time. Just telling the kids has lifted a huge weight and as mentioned previously, the spirit has been back now for a few days.

I am not going to get in to the "why" of it all here because, well, it's kind of a personal thing, and really, it doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Incidentally, Emily is doing much better. She has asked me some questions, talked to Suzanne and is handling the whole thing like a mature adult actually.

So anyway, that's it. I am so glad that the conversation has been had and, well, that the conversation is over!

3 comments:

  1. Shaz that makes ALL THE SENSE why you havent been in the spirit. Sounds like you handled it well, and like anything that's a change will take the kids getting used to it. I am sorry things didnt work out for them, but it will all be ok.



    it's mrsdew it wouldnt post under my name for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you come right down to it the reasons don't really matter that much anyway. Each side has there own version anyway.
    If I have forgot to tell you recently Shaz your a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Wayne! For the record, I think you are a great father too! : )

    ReplyDelete