Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This was...

...well, one of those mornings. Emily left in tears, completely distraught over her outfit and shoes. She was wearing her brown and pink gouchos and her pink shirt. She couldn't find her brown and pink shoes so I told her she would have to wear her black. She wanted to wear her sneakers but the outfit is kind of fancy (or at least too fancy for sneakers) so I wouldn't let her. I had this weird idea that maybe making her wear the black shoes (that didn't look the best but probably better than sneakers would have) would teach her to keep better track of her things (in this case, she would have had the brown shoes and everyone would have been happy). She said, "People are going to make fun of me" and "I look like a boy (i have no idea so don't even ask)".

The thing is, this is one of those times where I am questioning my decision. Part of my overall concern with Emily and her lack of organization is that "consequences" don't seem to affect her. Sure, she was mad when she left but, more than likely my decision to make her wear the black shoes will do nothing to help her keep better track of her things. She won't think about what happened this time, the next time a situation like this comes up. So, maybe I should have just gave in and let her wear whatever she wanted? Or maybe, if I keep making her suffer the consequences she will eventually catch on?

I don't know and I am sure this will be one of many times that I second guess myself. Either way I feel bad that she went of to school angry and I hope it doesn't ruin her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment