Wednesday, December 20, 2006

That's One Way To Do It

You know, I had been looking at the Christmas tree thinking that I really should spend the time and spread the branches out a little more, rearrange some of the ornaments (so that the softest ones were on the bottom and "ok" for Julia to touch) and just give it an all around "sprucing up." Ryun decorated it with the kids back on Thanksgiving weekend. It was cute and adorable and all...the fact that he decided to do it and surprise me with it but, I have to admit I was a little sad that I didn't partake.

So fast forward to today, just about a half hour ago actually. I went over to the wood stove to add some logs. We have a round gate type thing surrounding the stove so Julia can't climb on to the brick, as the stove (obviously) gets quite hot. I opened the stove, raked the coals a little and added the log. Now the tree sits just over the gate, right in front of the big window that looks out over the front yard. I am sure by now you can see where this is going.

Yup.

I lost my balance swinging my leg over the gate and in a desperate attempt not to land on the stove, grabbed on to whatever I could to steady myself. The only thing to grab? Well, the tree of course. I didn't fall so you know, that was good.

The tree wasn't so lucky.

Yeah, it fell, and came to rest on the tv stand, knocking many ornaments and candy canes off. Julia said, "Oh my God, Mom. What happened to the tree?" (Oh my God is her newest phrase and let me just tell you how much she loves to use it).

It was leaning in a rather precarious position so I decided to take it out of the stand and lay it between the stove and the tv stand. The ornaments that didn't fall off (some of which are glass) were now within Julia's reach so I decided to take those off too.

I have mentioned here a few times that I just wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit. So, I was thinking that it would be kind of funny if Ryun came home, saw it, and thought, "oh my God, she's really gone off the deep end, taking the Christmas tree down before Christmas has even come." Funny thing is, I think this may be the thing that has brought the spirit back.

It was all kind of comical really, and hey, at least I get to decorate the tree this year!

2 comments:

  1. The last big tree I had up was years ago when the kids were home..one of tem..I forget which one claimed it..had a cat and the cat liked to climb trees..especially the Christmas tree and finally one night about midnight the kids thought Santa was coming early..there was one hell of a clatter..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny (although you all probably didn't think so at the time)!

    ReplyDelete