Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Results

Julia's doctor just called with the results of her EEG.

They were abnormal.

She had what the doctor called a "midline parietal spike." The results said possible complex partial seizures.

For those who may not remember this is the reason we did the EEG to begin with (well, that and because of Emily's history). While that hasn't been happening as frequently as it was, it has happened a number of times since then.

So, the next step?

Julia's developmental pediatrician is going to contact Emily's neurologist so that he may review the results. Conveniently, they are both on staff at Children's and know each other well. She thinks that he will more than likely schedule an overnight EEG for Julia, as it appears that her seizures (well seizure activity) is potentiated by sleep, just like Emily's (the spike occured during the portion of the EEG in which Julia was asleep).

Obviously, for the sake of convenience, I am going to try my darndest to get Emily and Julia's EEG scheduled on the same night. Two kids at Children's at the same time! Oh fun!

When I first got this news the morning, I promptly started to cry. I've stopped now and am trying desperately to wrap my head around the fact that I now have two children with seizures (well, more than likely anyway).

It's funny, well not really but you know what I mean. Remember when I posted about canceling the EEG because I knew everything was fine? Murphy's Law and all that.

Guess it's a good thing I didn't.

Also, as much as it is important to know, and in a sense it is nice to finally have some definable answers as to what has been going on with Julia, sometimes, I still wish I wasn't so on top of things.

1 comment:

  1. well, it's not the worst thing in the world, I suppose. At least it's something you have dealt with before, and not an entirely new thing...

    Hopefully the docs can figure out what's causing it for Julia and get her on meds and get her on the right track. And then maybe she'll make even better progress in therapy. Wouldn't that be awesome? She's doing so well already.

    Poor cutie-pie!

    ReplyDelete