Saturday, August 26, 2006

Oh, I Could Tell You Why...

So...I've been thinking. I really need to get a job...and I really need to find something that I can do from home. Direct Sales are out for 2 reasons...I suck at selling things and technically, it's not from home. You have to leave your house for shows, right?

Financially, we're fine. Ryun makes more than enough to pay the bills and deal with the every day extra expenses that come up (birthday gifts, car repairs etc.) but it would be nicer if we could pay things off faster and save at the same time.

All that aside, I think I am going through something a lot of stay at home moms probably do. I feel like, I don't know, I am not using my brain for any real purpose. I don't even know if I can explain it to y'all but I feel like I am sitting here in idle and not going forward. It's kind of frustrating. For once in my life, I feel like I have a lot to offer too. Confidence is such a new feeling for me and I like it.

It's not like I don't think the kids provide me with enough well, stimulation I guess is the right word. I just need a different kind, on top of what they give.

It's one of the many reasons I decided at the beginning of last school year to jump in to PTA and various other volunteer type things with the kids. It's why I signed up to chair the Cultural Enrichment Committee this year, as well as stay on as the Food Committee Chair and tackle Junior Girl Scout Leadership. At least you know, these types of things provide me with opportunities to really think. I'm not going to lie, the adult interaction is nice too.

I certainly don't want to give up any of these volunteer opportunities, which is the main reason I need to work from home. I can't be leaving the house any more than I already will have to with the various other commitments I already have. I need something that will allow me to work at home, in either the wee hours of the morning, or late at night when all other commitments are met, and everyone else's needs are taken care of.

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that a job like this will probably never come to be (because let's be real, it would be just too perfect for it to actually happen). My next avenue of exploration will be going back to school, at least taking a class here and there until I can dedicate more time to taking more than one class per semester. I have two years of a degree work in Sociology behind me so that's something anyway. I am looking in to various Occupational Therapy Programs, as well as looking in to getting my degree in Psychology, which would have been my minor in college, had I stuck it out. I already have a couple of Psych classes under my belt.

So, we'll see what happens I guess. The idea of going back to school does appeal to me as it would provide a definite way to "use my brain" and would also perhaps increase my chances of getting a better job once I do re-join the work force (although, I have to admit, I don't generally feel that having a degree always means something in this day and age).

No comments:

Post a Comment