Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Letters To The Teachers

Every year, or at least for the past couple anyway, I send my children off to their first day of school with a letter of introduction for their teachers.

Below is the letter I am sending with Emily. For Katherine's version take out all of the stuff about Epilepsy and ADHD!

Dear Mrs. McPherson,

My daughter, Emily will be starting fourth grade tomorrow in your classroom. She is looking forward to her return to school and is excited about meeting you and seeing her friends.

In July of 2004, Emily was diagnosed with Epilepsy. She has not had a seizure in almost two years, I wanted to make you aware of her condition, so that you would know what was happening, should she ever have one while in school. Emily experiences tonic clonic (grand mal) seizures, usually upon waking. Generally, it takes her about 10-15 minutes for her to “come back around” after the seizing has stopped. She takes Lamictal (50 mg in the morning, 75 mg at night) to control seizures, and has not had one since October of 2004.

Emily is also diagnosed with ADHD, inattentive type. Basically, she needs to be reminded to stay on task, transitioned from one event to the next, and reminded to bring her homework/papers home every night. Sitting in the front of the classroom will also be very helpful to Emily. I have enclosed a copy of her 504 plan for your review.

Emily is a very happy girl and is eager to learn. I am sure she will do well in your classroom and am looking forward to a great year. If you have any questions or concerns regarding Emily, please feel free to contact me so that we may discuss them.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you this year, whether it be donating supplies, volunteering from home (I have a two year old daughter so volunteering in the classroom may be difficult) or anything else you can think of. You can reach me by phone at (intentionally left blank)or through my email address, (intentionally left blank). I am looking forward to taking an active part in Emily’s fourth grade experience!

Thank you very much!

2 comments:

  1. great idea. Do the teachers generally like this type of letter. As em is having a new teacher this year and i was thinking of somthing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toto, I don't think we're in Halifax in 1970 anymore... :>

    ReplyDelete