Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The PTA Mom

It seems that each year, at least over the past few, I have gradually added to my list of volunteer related "work." I started off as a Sunday school teacher. I quickly realized that that was not my calling (actually I probably knew that before I even jumped on board but that's another entry entirely). The next year I joined the PTA, and in the same year, decided to chair the food committee for Mardi Gras. The next year I became a Girl Scout Leader, and the Cultural Enrichment chair for the PTA, and continued as the Food Committee Chair for Mardi Gras. This year, I remained a Girl Scout Leader, switched to chairing the Fundraising Committee, for the PTA, co-chaired the entire Mardi Gras event, am helping with the 5th grade end of the year events, and am volunteering bi-weekly in Julia's classroom. The point is? While I find all of it to be rewarding, and worth every minute of the time and talent I gave to it, I have been thinking lately that it is time for me to narrow it down to one or two things that I feel most passionate about. I feel like I have been spreading myself too thin, making it so that I am unable to give 110 % to any one thing. It hasn't been easy deciding on one thing because really? I love it all and hate to give any of it up. However, a decision had to be made, and here is what I have come up with. I am going to "run" for PTA president next year. I say run, but more than likely, it will be a uncontested race (generally, when someone volunteers for such things, it usually works out that they are in effect awarded the position, even with the formalities of nominations and an election). I will continue to volunteer in the schools and classrooms as needed or requested, and will continue on a regular basis volunteering in Julia's classroom. I also plan to initiate a PTA Partners In The Community Program, and will co-chair Mardi Gras again. When it came down to deciding, it really became obvious that my passion lies in the education and support of the students in the school environment. This means that I will be giving up my position as a Girl Scout Leader, and in effect re-arranging and perhaps adding more to my responsibilities in the PTA. I really feel like this is where I can offer the most, and is where I can make the most difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment