Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Katherine: Bedwetting

Yesterday was her appointment with the urologist. I wasn't all that impressed to be honest with you (except with his good looks and bedside manner). I'm and not a doctor but it would seem to me that the first thing to do would be to test her urine? He didn't. He had her go to the bathroom and then did an ultrasound of her bladder to see if it was empty (it was) and then basically said this:

Ninety percent of all kids who have a bedwetting problem past the age of 5 have a problem with too much "poop" in the colon, causing it to push on her bladder, leaving no room to expand, hence the pee just comes out.

It was a little more technical than that, but, that is what he said in a nutshell. It would seem like a logical thing to me if she didn't have a regular schedule but she does so, I'm not buying it. However, just for the sake of saying I did it, I will fill the prescription for the powder he prescribed that will make her go, and see what happens. Who knows? It could work.

5 comments:

  1. He forgot to mention that what a load of crappe that is and that really, she will out grow out by the time she's twelve.

    Unless there's an infection, the problem is not being able to wake themselves up at night to go.

    I'm sure there isn't a medical term for that, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like anonymous is on the right track. The poop thing is a new one on me, and while I could see that *maybe* being an issue *sometimes* it is mainly about the signal to wakability ratio.

    In my case they at least didn't pretend to have any ideas like that, and mainly tried to frighten me out of it. My doctor, the same one who saved my life in a saner moment, suggested to my mother in my presence surgically widening my pee hole, cutting it to be bigger so pee could come out more freely and not be backed up in there to come out at night. I kid you not, and it was clearly, as I realized in fairly short order, scare tactics.

    My parents also threatened to make me wear diapers (not just at night, but to school), or worse. Threats didn't work. Approaching puberty, becoming differently hormoned, and having the equipment start on the road to thinking about jobs besides urinating is what did it.

    Exercising the muscles doesn't hurt. The only useful advice from when I was a kid and had the problem was the start and stop the stream exercise, which can be done without being in the middle of peeing once you have enough feel for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless you have had kids, in which the "stop the stream" exercise is next to impossible because that muscle down there...it just doesn't work the same way anymore. Of course, this is TMI and doesn't apply to Katherine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe keigal yes try to explain that one to a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and might want to get a 2nd opinion and not tell them what mr gorgous said.

    ReplyDelete