Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Emily: Driving and Seizures

Emily asked me yesterday what would happen if she had a seizure while driving. I was honest with her and said, "You would probably get in a car accident." The she asked if that meant she wouldn't be able to get her license. I told her that rule in MA was that she would have to be seizure free for six months in order to get it (it seems to me that this would be impossible for the registry to track...not that I would let her drive if she had had recent seizure but I am just saying). I then told her that she was on a three year seizure free streak (October 21st marked the three year anniversary of her last known seizure)so with any bit of luck that would keep up. I also told hr not to worry about it now, because it was six years away (then to myself...HOLY SHIT, it's only six years away!).

She was kind of funny when we went to get her blood work done. Katherine was having a blood sugar test done (the only other thing the urologist did) so I had Emily's med levels check while we were there (finally...I should have done this at her doctors request after her last appointment in May). Anyway, the woman taking the blood asked if either child had ever had blood drawn and how they would be. I said that they had both had it done numerous times (and too much for my taste if you ask me) and that one would cry and one would be fine. When we went in to the room to actually have it done, Emily said to the woman, "I am the older one and I am the one that will cry. Bet you thought it was the younger one who would, didn't you?" Too funny. She did cry a little but as usual, stayed still and was fine after all was said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment