Monday, November 12, 2007

Cranberries!

I have more than I know what to do with, between my mother's friend and Cousin Jeff (Cousin Jeff isn't really a cousin of ours, just a nickname for one of the Monday Night Poker guys)both giving us "fresh from the bog" berries. So far, I have made two cranberry breads (one that called for the usual orange juice and one that I had never tried before that had no OJ in it but had the interesting ingredient of cinnamon added to it), a cranberry/apple crisp and just a few minutes ago, a homemade cranberry sauce. I an anxious to try the cranberry sauce, having never attempted to make my own or ever having tried homemade, but, it has to cool for a while before that can happen. I plan on making a Grilled Cranberry Chicken (the recipe for which I have posted at some point but an too lazy to link).

I need some additional recipes though! I might try and make a cranberry/banana bread since I have bananas that will need to be used soon however, any other suggestions would be great! i would love to do something "appetizer-like" rather than the desert/bread type of things that are typically recommended for cranberry use, but I am open to anything.

Have at it!

4 comments:

  1. Get Jay's Cranberry Pie recipe if you don't already have it. He posted it a couple of years ago..

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. It was Sharon who found the cranberry pie worked well with blueberries too, as I recall.

    If you find yourself with too many, we might be interested in some.

    I made homemade sauce and it was amazing. No surprise, the cinnamon in a cranberry bread, considering how good it was in the cranberry sauce. Or maybe that was cloves. Hmmm...

    I'll have to make sure I get a couple oranges or some OJ, now you mention them, since the zest or juice are so big in cranberry recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a recipe for Upside down cranberry cake! I'm thinking of making to bring to Thanksgiving at Laurie's. I will send you the recipe sometime today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me dig through my recipes. I've got one for a Cranberry Salsa with jalapenos and lime juice that is delicious served over cream cheese with triscuits or some such like snack cracker.

    Walrilla

    ReplyDelete