Thursday, November 8, 2007

Fish

One of the big things on the high blood pressure diet Ryun was given is fish. I don't know why exactly, but it seems to me, that lately, fish is being pushed as the be all end all of all bad things. I am not complaining, I love fish, I've just never cooked it. Ryun's idea of fish is a fish and chips dinner, which not only doesn't count as eating seafood in my book, but I am quite sure it is not the kind of fish the diet is talking about. He is open to trying it, if I am willing to cook it. Not only am I willing, but I have wanted to experiment with it for quite some time. So, what ideas do you have for cooking it? I was basically planning on buying haddock or cod (or some other kind of light type of fish), seasoning with bread crumbs, garlic and perhaps a few other seasonings and baking it in the oven. I am looking for advice on how to tell when it is done, seasoning ideas and any recipes you want to share. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. First, I buy my fish at Shaws most of the time.Always ask when the fish came in!That day or day before ok.Fish and chips NO!Yes you can lightly breaded rub with garlic and spray with "Can't believe its not butter spray".I have a garlic/basil spice which I buy here in VT which I will bring you to try also. Can also place fish in foil and cook on grill.Have you ever tried salmon?We get it frozen at Sam's or Costco in individual portions which we love. I also poach fish which you can just put a lot of pepper, and other spices in the water to add flavor.
    Hope this is a help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cook out Salmon in the oven. Coat it with a small amount of butter, Or what you like and sprinkle it with Blackened seasoning (you can buy it in the spice section) Simple but good.. Cook until its flaky. Depends on the size of the piece you are cooking. My kids love it and ask for it when they are here.

    ReplyDelete