Monday, October 22, 2007

Speaking of tree hugging save the world freaks...

...Ryun went out and invested in those newfangled energy saver light bulbs. I think he was thinking more of saving money as opposed to saving energy of course.

Anyway, the timing behind his decision to do this was a little odd, because it came just after someone at the PTA meeting mentioned selling light bulbs as a fund raiser. I thought this was odd but looked it up online and found a number of references to non-profits selling energy saver light bulbs that were donated by various vendors and/or electric companies, and turning 100 % profit. I also came upon the Energy Star website and their newest campaign, called, "Change a Light Bulb, Save The World." Heroes reference intentional or not, I couldn't help but be drawn in by the catchy tagline. I found an amazing amount of information, ideas and resources, most of which I have printed out for reference. My reading helped generate many of my own ideas, which I really think, with a lot of time and effort on my part could be a part of the week-long Earth Day Celebrations that take place at the Elementary Schools each year. I usually help out in some way or another during that week anyway, and with the Entertainment Book fundraiser well behind me come the new year, I really think I could turn it all in to something fun and educational for the kids.

So we'll see what happens after I formulate an actual plan (as opposed to the millions of ideas running around my head right now).

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I have changed out most of mine..I can tell that it has saved a nickel on energy but they do last a long time..I got tired of sweetthing yelling at me to change a bulb..always in the dark of course...

    ReplyDelete