Thursday, June 19, 2008

What Time Is It?

SUMMERTIME!

Sorry, I was channeling High School Musical there for a minute.

I was reminded today of two things, which aren't even academic in nature, that make The Middleboro Elementary Schools tops in my book.

Every morning, each class at the HBB School takes part in a flag raising ceremony. The class goes outside to the flag pole with the assistant principal. Each student takes part in the unfolding of the flag. It is then carefully attached to the pole and risen. They say the pledge together with the vice principal and head in to start the day. I like it because it gives much more meaning to the importance of the flag than a simple "saying of the pledge" in the classroom, and it also provides a hands on, engaging activity for the students to get involved in.

The other thing was something that touches me ever year when I hear about it, and always forget to mention it. On the last day of school as the buses are pulling away, every teacher and staff member, as well as the principals and vice principals come out of the building and wave as the students leave. it's such a nice send off for the kids.

Anyway, it's official! School's out for the summer, and I could be more excited about this then I was when I was a kid myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment