Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Does anyone...

...(ahem Jay, Suz, Heath) how to make a picture not "right-clickable?" I realize that this doesn't exactly prevent copying of the picture (because I am pretty sure that it will just end up somewhere on the computer anyway) but it will prevent the "average joe" computer user from copying pictures and figuring out where they end up even if they don't copy them. I was thinking of posting some pics that I took over at the photography blog, but wanted to "protect them" in case I decide to sell them at some point.

So, all you computer peeps out there, a little help please?!?!

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. something I could probably figure out but not something I could tell you just by chance.

    heather...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total honesty?

    I laugh when I see someone do that. I declare them so 1996. Then I go away. Sometimes I pointedly grab one of their pictures from temp internet files before deleting them. How obnoxious it is depends on the tone and content of the message that normally pops up instead of the normal right-click. There are legitimate right-click browser functions that have nothing to do with "save picture as" and just piss people off.

    If you must, IIRC it's javascript and code should be easy to find via Google.

    FWIW there are probably newfangled ways of displaying pictures, generally done in popup windows, where the content is sort of streamed and encrypted so it never appears in an identifiable form in temporary internet files. This would be used on a decent site showing pictures of an artist's work, for instance. However, there's a big difference between someone casually grabbing a copy of a thumbnail and someone actually buying the art or a print of it.

    Another way of handling it, as with fatzombie.com, is there's a clean thumbnail that's not going to be much use or show real detail. Then there's a larger version to show detail better - still nowhere near the print size - and it's watermarked prominently. Not even in a subtle way like I do with our pictures of kids. That renders it useless to someone wanting a copy, while sill allowing prospective buyers a better look at what they are getting.

    ReplyDelete