Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I Tried To Update

Really I did. Blogger decided to be down literally all day which made it, well, impossible!

Julia and I went apple picking with the MOMS Club today. I am ashamed to say that I have never been before. I know, it''s sad. We had fun and some of the branches were low enough for Julia to reach so she managed to add a few to the bag.

Today, for those who might not know is Johnny Appleseed's birthday. In celebration of this, Emily's class had an "apple tasting". Of course, because timing is everything, I had to use store bought apples for the treats I made to bring in to her class today.

I ended up making a few things actually. Emily said that that "Easy Apple Dessert" I made was a hit, and she came home with an empty dish so I guess she was right.

Here is the recipe:

3 cups sliced apples, peeled
1 three oz package of strawberry flavored gelatin
1 c flour
1c sugar
1/2 c butter, room temperature.

Place apples in buttered 9 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle gelatin over apples. In a small bowl, combine butter and sugar. Blend in flour, until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


I also decided to try my hand at making Apple Butter. It's delicious! I ended up searching online and found a fairly simple recipe using the crockpot.

4 c peeled, cored and chopped apples
4 tsp cinnamon
4 c sugar
1 tsp salt

Place apples in bottom of crock. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the apples. Cover and cook all day, stirring occasionally and mashing down as you store. Cook until dark and thick. Pour in jars and seal.


Does anyone have any suggestions as to what apple butter would be good on, aside from the usual toast?

The final use I found for the apples was in a fantastic Roast Chicken Breats With Appple-Onion Stuffing recipe that I found here. It was delicious.

The apple-fest will be continuing for quite some time around here. We have a giant bag full of apples to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment