Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Gave In...well, Sort Of

I just added a line to our existing account for Emily to get a cell phone. I always said this wouldn't happen until she was 16. I changed my mind, and here's why.

Emily, following in my footsteps no doubt, has a lot of interest in the extra curricular stuff...student council, drama club, SANE, etc). All of these things take place after school hours. The late bus runs on Monday and Wednesday and leaves the school at 3:25, one hour after normal school dismissal time. I was very nervous about her taking the late bus because it is possible they could drop her off up to a mile away from home. There is no way I am letting her walk from wherever to our house, seeing as we live on a main road. In order for her to able to stay after, I was going to have to pick her up at 3:25, which would mean I would not be home in time for Julia to get home at 3:30. I could pick Julia up (which I will do today) but she loves the bus and consistency is a hugely important thing for her. So, we are getting a cell phone so she can call us wherever she gets dropped off and we can come and get her right away.

She will only be bringing it with on her the days in which she plans to stay after. I have arranged it so texting and internet access are blocked, and do not plan on letting her use it for any other reason except to call home.

I am not 100 % sure I love this idea, but it seems like the best way to get everyone where they need to be when, and with the least amount of hassle.

1 comment:

  1. I Think its a smart idea.
    You should see if you can set up controls on the phone. I can with my plan. You can set so they can only call numbers you list and only use so many minutes ect.
    This way you don't have to worry about any surprise huge bills and if the phone gets lost or stolen you don't have to worry about someone finding it and ringing up huge bills.

    ReplyDelete