Friday, July 20, 2007

Food

In a never ending quest to decide what actually is healthy in regard to what I eat, a few weeks ago, I decided to shop organically, at least as much as I possibly could using the local Hannaford's down the street. I was pleasantly surprised with the selection they did have and managed to get 75% of what I bought organic. I was not surprised with the cost, although I did audibly suck my breath in when the total bill came to $235. I am used to spending about $150 or so (using coupons and store sales I generally save about $30 per week...otherwise the bill would be closer to $180).

I wanted to see if it made any difference in my life at all...would I feel better? Worse? The same? I realize that one week of changing to organic might not be enough to notice much, but I didn't notice anything at all. I tend to believe that it probably is better for you in the long run(it just doesn't seem like adding all kinds of chemicals to something could actually be good for you), but someone needs to find a way to make it more affordable or I won't be taking part.

I often wonder why "things" were ever added to food to begin with. It seems to me that everyone is telling you all natural is the way to go nowadays, so at some point, did they used to think that added "ingredients" were healthy for you? Back in the day, way back in the day, the people ate the food "as is." Why did they ever start adding preservatives and chemicals and whatever else if they were just going to go back to saying all natural works best? It doesn't sense.

I am of the belief anyway, that what might work today, might not work tomorrow, and could go back to working the next day. The truth is we are all built and wired differently so making blanket statements about what works will not necessarily be true for everyone, and, it's damned near impossible to keep up with anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment