Thursday, February 1, 2007

Katherine: Speech and Title I

I had mentioned here a while back that I was concerned because I had not heard from Katherine's teacher regarding whether or not Katherine was going to be needing speech or Title I services. Her teacher and I had talked, at the Parent Teacher Conference about the fact that the teacher thought she would be a good candidate for extra support and I had some concerns about her speech. I hadn't heard anything on either count yet, but Katherine had told me a couple of times that she had been taken from the classroom for testing (although she referred to it as " reading stories and talking"). Yesterday, I decided that I would send a note in with Katherine to see what was going on. Her teacher sent a note back saying that a speech screening was done and that based on that, they would be doing a full speech evaluation. I don't really know what the difference between the two is, but I am assuming the evaluation is a longer process. As far as Title I goes, her teacher feels that Katherine would be a good candidate but doesn' t know yet what the results of the "official" screening were. Hopefully, she will find out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment