Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Julia's Appointment

One thing I love about Julia's Developmental Pediatrician? She understands. She just does. She always confirms too that my concerns in regard to Julia are valid, and not just some product of my imagination or me over analyzing. Validation is a nice thing, even when you wish in some small way, that it was all in your head.

Anyway, I had emailed her my concerns and the first thing she said was that while she had some symptoms of PDD-NOS, Autism, or Aspergers, she definitely would not diagnose her with any of those disorders. She is too "connected" is what she said exactly. Even though I had already ruled these out myself, it was nice to hear regardless.

She had Julia try and do a few gross motor type things including getting in and out of a chair, walking, running and jumping in place. She commented on her "gait" and how it was still sort of waddle-like, similar to when they first learn to walk. I had noitced this too and had just forgotten to mention it on my list of concerns I had emailed. She felt her legs and arms and said, "Oh yeah, she definitely has the low tone"(which of course she already knew but was just commenting on out loud).

She is in agreement with my diagnosis: Sensory Integretation Disorder. She is going to send me some SI activities to practice with at home and give to her PT from EI to incorporate in to our bi-weekly meetings. She is also going to make a recommendation that Julia attedn the integrated preschool (aka public preschool). She would go 3-4 times per week, for a couple of hours each day. She said that she thinks I will notice a huge difference once Julia is in preschool and is consistently exposed to other kids, and more Physical and Sensory Integration Therapy on more regular basis.

The last thing she recommended was that Julia have genetic counseling. She plans on making a referral for that. Basically, a geneticist would look at Julia's medical history, and decide whether or not her "symptoms" are indicative of any specific disoders, and the genetic test would be conducted for that specific condition. So, I figured you know, what the heck? What the heck and of course the whole, "If I don't do it I will probably regret it" thing coming in to play.

1 comment:

  1. "She always confirms too that my concerns in regard to Julia are valid, and not just some product of my imagination or me over analyzing. Validation is a nice thing, even when you wish in some small way, that it was all in your head."

    I stumbled across this blog in a search, and I was so relieved to read this. I have some concerns about my 3yo son Camden and I am in a constant struggle right now. I wonder if I'm reading too much into things that he does, but then I think "of course not... why would I be trying to get him help otherwise?" Anyway, I understand. :) By the way, I had just started a list of concerns this weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete