Thursday, September 4, 2003

West Nile and Dr. Phil

Emily's first day of school went well. She loved her new teacher and enjoyed meeting her new classmates. I will of course, be posting pictures as soon as I get the film developed.
She woke up this morning and her fever was only 99 so I sent her to school. When she got off of the bus though, it was 102.5 so I immediately called the doctor and took her in. Because she has had the fever since Monday, they were concerned enough to test her for strep, test her urine and draw blood. The only thing that came back a little off was that her white blood count was a little different from what is considered normal. Anyway, they said to give the fever another couple of days to go away and if it doesn't to bring her back in for further testing. They think it could just be a virus. But I am a little freaked out for a number of reasons. On Monday afternoon...at around 1:00 or so, she came in from outside and was covered with mosquito bites. Her arms looked like she had chicken pox it was that bad. I have never ever been concerned about the bugs being a problem until at least after 4:00. This was late morning, early afternoon. Maybe it is because we live near the bogs? I really don't know. Anyway, Katie had a few bites too but Emily was much worse off. So yeah, not to be an alarmist but I have West Nile/meningitis fears running through my mind. The other thing is is that the only complaints she has had are a severe headache and a stomach ache...both symptoms of mosquito-borne viruses. I did mention the bug bites to the doc and she didn't seem all that concerned so we shall see.
And, on a completely random note... on a whim, I sent an email to the Dr. Phil show discussing in detail the differences in parenting techniques that Ryun and I have. One of the upcoming shows will deal with parental discipline issues. I received an email from a production assistant today asking that I forward a family picture (for Paramount security purposes) to her, and that she would be contacting me within a few days regarding being on the show.
I don't know if I have mentioned before the obsession I have with anything Dr. Phil. Seriously he has the best ideas and advice on a myriad of topics. I have read every book he has ever written and yes, I record his show everyday.
Would the chance to meet him in person actually be worth the embarrassment of airing the dirty laundry on national television?
Hell freakin' yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment