Wednesday, August 6, 2003

Chapin Beach

I am back. We had a great time...minus the injuries we all sustained! Let's see...Katie tripped over her own feet and now has a bruise the size of my fist on her leg. She also managed to scrape her elbow. Emily was playing with Maddy, quite possibly the best dog in the world and she forgot to let go of the leash when she threw the ball. Maddy is a good size dog(a chocolate lab) and she took off fast. Emily was at the top of the wooden ramp that comes off of the back deck and she got dragged from the top to the bottom. I thought for sure she was going to have a broken bone or two, possibly even need stitches. The fall looked terrible, horrible, much worse than it turned out to be. She ended up with a scraped up and black eye, a bruise on her knee and a good sized scrape on her arm. That was pretty bad but God, replaying the scene in my mind, it could have been a hundred times worse. It was scary to watch. It wasn't really the dog's fault or Emily's so yes, despite the fact that she hurt my baby, I still think she rocks, so does Emily.
Me, well my "injury" is in part thanks to the sun, in part due to my own stupidity. You see, I was being such a good girl, putting sunscreen all over my body...even my ears for Christ sake. The one and only place I forgot was my feet. And I am now paying dearly. My feet are really, really red and about three times their normal size. They look worse than they did during my last month of pregancy. Not the sunburn part but the swollenness. And they hurt, alot. I am usually so good about sunscreen. I am honestly not that concerned about skin cancer sad to say, but pain. Sunburns hurt and if simply putting sunscreen on can prevent the pain, then why the hell not?
Anyway, other than that, it was a perfect couple of days. The sun was out, the beach was beautiful, the water warm. Emily and Katie had so much fun. Steve cooked the best dinners and my mother baked her infamous Magic Cookie Bars for dessert. We sat on the side deck while the kids performed for us, singing and dancing, using the back deck as their "backstage" area. After they went to bed, we played board games, and consumed a drink my brother in law made called, "Blue Balls." I have no clue what was in it but it contained ungodly amounts of alcohol and it was good.
It was a very relaxing few days and we are already looking forward to going again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment