Monday, March 17, 2008

Life Lessons...

...or things I want my daughters to know (inspired in part by a book of the same title, by Alexandra Stoddard). Some of these things I am still learning myself.

It is easier to get in to things than to get out of them. *Still Learning*

To get the most out of life, look not for the best "later" but the good "now." *Still Learning*

"The world in which you live is not primarily determined by outward conditions and circumstances but by the thoughts that habitually occupy your mind." ~Norman Vincent Peale~ *Almost have this one down pat*

Be grateful but don't expect gratitude. When we expect others to be grateful for everything we do we set our selves up for disappointment. *Trying really hard to learn this one.*

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is a choice. *I pretty much have this one down. Basically, accept what can not be changed and move on.*

Stock up on experiences, not just things. *Makes total sense. This world is way too materialistic if you ask me.*

Don't assume anything. * Self explanatory I think, and yes, I have got this one down to a science.*

Overlook things. *This has been a tough one for me. Finding a happy balance between what I do and what I chose not to, can be hard.*

"The most important thing about getting somewhere is starting right where we are. " ~Bruce Barton~ *Do your homework, do your research, don't jump in blind. Makes sense to me.*

Don't save the best for last. *Do what you want to do now. "Now" is the only thing you are sure of, tomorrow may never come. I am working hard to wrap my head around this but it sounds right to me.*

Don't see people for what you want them to be, but as they really are. *Exactly right. I have this one down pat.*

There is no security except within us. *Don't count on security from someone or something else. Find it within yourself. This one took a while but, I think I am finally getting it.*

Practice the vocabulary of thanks and appreciation. *Check.*

When you've made your point, sit down. *Have faith that when you say something concisely, people will get the message. I have basically always known this.*


That's it. If I can teach these things to my girls, and in some cases myself, I think our lives will be better for it.

1 comment:

  1. FANTASTIC! Loved reading this this morning--so many quotes are so true. I think I will get a couple of copies of that book.

    ReplyDelete