Thursday, November 13, 2008

Random Things

Today? Julia walked outside and said, "It smells chilly." I thought she misspoke at first but after a took a breath in, I realized she meant exactly what she said. It did smell "chilly." It reminded me of the time Emily smelled, "summer" when she was about the same age as Julia is now. I LOVE how kids are so "in the moment." They notice things I might otherwise not have. It's refreshing.

Speaking of Julia, she had quite a traumatic start to the day. For some reason (and without warning) they sent the handicap accessible bus to pick her up today. I say bus but really, it's a van that looks nothing even remotely like a bus. The bus driver was also new (or new to Julia anyway). Julia? Doesn't do well with change...especially when people change. I ended up climbing on the bus myself, strapping her in and she seemed to settle a bit. Before that, she was crying and saying, "No Mama!" Poor kid. As it turns out, this is going to be a permanent change on Thursdays so unless the previous bus driver just up and quit driving on Thursdays, like this morning, a little warning would have been nice. I could totally have prepped Julia for the change in bus and driver, making it least a little easier for her, if not erasing the bad feelings she had about it altogether. I might give the school a heads up so that they know, if there is going to be any major change in Julia's usual routine when it comes to the whole school process, to give me as much warning as possible so I can go over it with her. It seems reasonable, and honestly, she just "functions" a lot better when she knows what is coming and what is expected of her.

Anyway, that's it from this neck of the woods. On the agenda for tonight is a meeting at the Burkland School so I can be trained as an official volunteer (which is funny really, because I have been volunteering there for going on four years now but it's considered "required" regardless) and Girl Scouts for Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment