Monday, November 3, 2008

Everyone else is doing it...

talking about the election that is, so why not me?

In case anyone was curious as to how and why I am voting tomorrow, no need to wonder any more because I am going to spell it our for you right here. Before I do that though, I should point out that I am neither naive or stupid enough to think that my chosen candidate will necessarily be able to follow through with all of his plans, nor am I saying that I like everything about him and his plans. It would be next to impossible to find a candidate with whom you agree 100%, so you have top pick your personal crusades, and vote with the candidate that best matches those. It really can be that simple. The point is, that his plans were made on what he believes to be best for America, but more importantly, his beliefs (some of them at least) happen to coincide directly with some of my own, making him the best choice for me personally. So here you go.

Question 1 (a MA ballot question looking to get rid of the state income tax): I am voting no, and here's why. It will cut 12 billion dollars from the already financially strapped state budget. I would invite someone to share with me their ideas regarding how exactly this would be in any way ok, and how exactly, we would pay for things that the state budget helps pay for (specifically education)?

Question 2 (the Marijuana question...if you are caught with one ounce or less, you would face citations and civil penalties as opposed to criminal penalties): I'm middle of the road on this one but I think I am going to vote no. If it's illegal, it's illegal and that should be that. Now if they were talking about whether or not to make it legal, I might have a different answer.

Question 3 (looking to make dog racing illegal in MA): I don't care much one way or the other but if the dog track closes that means 1000 people will be out of work and about 41 million dollars or so will come out of the state coffers, I'm going to vote no.

And now for the big one...

President of the United States: Barack Obama. Here's why, taken right from the campaign website:

Barack Obama will reform No Child Left Behind:

Obama and Biden believe teachers should not be forced to spend the academic year preparing students to fill in bubbles on standardized tests and he will improve the assessments used to track student progress to measure readiness for college.

Invest in early childhood education:

The Obama-Biden comprehensive "Zero to Five" plan will provide critical support to young children and their parents. And they will help states move toward voluntary, universal pre-school.


Barack Obama will provide educational opportunities to Americans with disabilities:

Obama and Biden will fight to provide students with disabilities the public education they have a right to, invest in early intervention programs, improve college opportunities, and support universal screening of infants.

Supports a Woman's Right to Choose:
Barack Obama understands that abortion is a divisive issue, and respects those who disagree with him. However, he has been a consistent champion of reproductive choice and will make preserving women's rights under Roe v. Wade a priority as President. He opposes any constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court's decision in that case.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that we owe it to the American public to explore the potential of stem cells to treat the millions of people suffering from debilitating and life-threatening diseases. Obama is a co-sponsor of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2007, which would allow research of human embryonic stem cells derived from embryos donated (with consent) from in vitro fertilization clinics. These embryos must be deemed in excess and created based solely for the purpose of fertility treatment.


These are the most important issues to me, and the reason I am voting for obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment