Thursday, August 14, 2008

In other milestone related news...

...for the first time in, well, eons, Julia spent the entire night sleeping in her room.

She woke screaming around 11:30. I was still awake so I went up to her room and sat in the rocking chair we recently put in her room for about a half hour or so until she fell back asleep. I started to leave but she woke again, so this time I sat at the kids computer that's set up on the landing and fooled around with that for about another half hour until she fell asleep soundly.

For the next few weeks my plan is going to be let her fall asleep wherever, bring her to her room and when she wakes, go up and do just what I did last night (I say when rather then if because for months on end she has woken up screaming every night with no exception). I will do this with the hope that eventually, she will not wake up anymore, or at least not every night.

After that is squared away (which hopefully will be sooner rather than later because hello, I need my sleep) the next step will be to get her to start the night in her own room. I am going to bring my cd player up there and find some calm and soothing music to play on repeat for her, as well as look into getting her a night light (rather than leaving her door open with the hall light on). For the first few nights, I will sit next to her in the chair until she falls asleep, but will gradually move further and further away until eventually, I am no longer in the room. I am hoping this will not take too long, and the goal of course will be for me to put her up in her room awake, read to her, tuck her in and leave.

It would be nice if this all could be in place before school starts again because if I think I am tired now, school starting will bring on a whole new level of tiredness.

No comments:

Post a Comment