Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lunch

Yesterday, I gave Julia a hot dog with ketchup for lunch. After a few minutes, I left her at the table, and ran down stairs to transfer laundry. When I came up? She held her ketchup-covered hands up and said," Well Mom, I guess you caught me red-handed." She had finished her hot dog and used the remaining ketchup left like finger paint, rubbing her hands all over the plate. Amazingly, she managed not to get ketchup on anything else, including her white shirt!

It was probably about the funniest thing she has ever done. When I asked her what made her think of doing it, and especially how she knew how precisely to say the "red handed" comment, she explained that she had seen the characters on the show, "Hi 5" do it with real finger paint. Still, I thought it was pretty amazing that she remembered the show, knew exactly how to use the ketchup, and knew exactly how to say the red handed pun with just the right amount of regret and shame.

It was definitely one of those parental, "Do I laugh or Do I get angry?" moments. I chose to laugh. I did speak to her after all was said and done and just let her know that it might not be the best idea to do something like that in the future. If nothing else it was a great sensory activity for her!

2 comments:

  1. Julia is FUNNY!! Great story! 6 more months til Disney!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids say the dardest things. that sound like one the specials moments you'll laugh about 20 years from now

    ReplyDelete