Monday, February 4, 2008

Self Care Skills

Mine? Yeah, they basically suck. I mean I have the basics down, like, you know showering, but beyond that? Not so much. You may be wondering why this has any relevance to this blog. It's relevant because I think part of the reason behind my lack self care skills is that I spend all of my time taking care of, worrying about, or focusing on everyone else. The kids. The husband. Everyone but me.

This is not good. I know that. How can I do a good job of seeing to everyone else's needs if I don't see to my own? It's the whole "airplane going down" scenario. You know, put the mask on yourself before you put it on your kid? I haven't quite mastered that yet. Part of it is my obsessive-compulsive need to just do everything myself, because, in my head anyway, it's just easier that way. If I do it myself, it will get done right, or at least the way I want it done. It won't cause any "discontent" among among anyone if I, God forbid ask someone else to do it for a change, and they don't want to. It won't cause me to be angry, or resentful, if I let someone else handle it, and they don't handle it in a way I think is appropriate. In reality, it is becoming painfully obvious (both literally and emotionally) that doing everything and ignoring my own "things", is not in fact easier, and could actually be detrimental to my own physical and mental well-being.

It's time that I put myself first for a change. I am not talking about anything major here. Just the usual things...like making an appointment at the dentist to get this tooth that has been bothering me taken care of. Getting a primary care doctor just to have a physical, something I haven't done in years. Finding some "me" time that I don't allow anyone else in on (either literally or figuratively). Focusing on losing weight and getting healthier (I don't believe that the two are necessarily connected but for me, past experience indicates that I just feel better on an emotional level when I am eating right and exercising). Continuing with counseling, and really, putting in to practice some of the things I have learned and will learn through counseling in the future.

It's a lot. All of it. A full plate, no doubt. That's why I am going to take baby steps. Win one battle before I start the next.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't had a shower in 2 days.

    Which is the TMI version of, you go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right Shaz, baby steps. THe first part is realizing you need YOU TIME.

    I am the same way i really need me time, but lately been so down, i'll figure a way out of it.

    Like you i feel, that my job is the kids, why do i need me time? But i do.

    I've always wanted a massage and finally have the guts to do it, so i just MIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely should get a massage...it's like, the best thing ever! I had when when i was prego with Julia...I can't wait to have another one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not a stay at home Mom however I know what you are talking about as far as taking care of yourself. After many years of working, coming home and jumping right in again, I requested and received quiet time for me to have a cup of coffee before anyone could request anything of me!It worked.

    ReplyDelete