Thursday, August 9, 2007

Ugh...

Emily was accused (I think by other students) of stealing money today at camp. After talking with her, I have serious doubts that she did it but, that is really beside the point.

I am not one of those parents who thinks my kid can do no wrong. They are not perfect, nobody is perfect. I fully expect, while they are in another person's care, that person will enforce whatever rules are in place, as well as what ever rules and/or expectations I may have put forth before leaving. That being said, I'd like to think that have have instilled in my children good, high, moral standards.

I send them to camp because I feel like it will obviously be a fun and exciting thing for them to do over the summer, but also because I hope that they will learn, from the counselors what it takes to be a good role model. Today, one of the counselors not only did the complete opposite, but they made my daughter cry.

I am still not sure exactly how she was accused of taking the money. It sort of just sounded like someone heard there was money missing and just decided that Emily would be a good person to blame. Emily had to talk to three counselors about it individually which I think is just a little over the top. One of the counselors didn't believe her and as a "punishment" made her sit in a "time out" for a half of an hour. So she was sitting on the cement and at one point, because her but was hurting from sitting so long, she decided to get in to a squatting position. The counselor noticed this and yelled at her, "SIT DOWN...YOU'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE." When Emily explained why she was squatting, the counselor yelled back, "SIT DOWN." This came after she had already been through two other counselors and she was already feeling a little upset. She ended up crying after she yelled at her.

So my first though was "Fuck you bitch, if you were sitting on the cement your ass would hurt to."

My second thought was, "A time out for a 10 year old? Gimme a fucking break."

My third thought was, "Did you really just yell at my kid?"

Seriously...uncalled for.

I will be the first to admit, that Emily is a challenge. She is by no means an "easy" kid. She is a good one though and whether she stole the money or not, she should not be made to cry at camp.

So me, the most "don't rock the boat" person on the planet, is going to go cause a tidal wave tomorrow (ok maybe a minor ripple). I just want to find out what happened from their viewpoint.

It's funny how quickly the easy going, peace-keeping me goes right out the door when someone makes my kid upset or hurts them. At least I am able to calm down from the immediate adrenaline, blood boiling, "I am going to go in there and rip them a new asshole" reaction I have when something like this happens. A level head is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. REGARDLESS, there was no justification for them to YELL sit down to her...NONE. Uncalled for on all 3 of your 3 thoughts. O man i am fuming just thinking of what happened. Emily could be handful, but i highly doubt in ANY WAY that she would steal money. PLEASE let me know how it goes when you talk to them. The person that yelled at her NEEDS to know she will NOT be spoken to like that. HELLO.......Oh sharon and Emily (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete