Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Parenting

It seems that I have spent a lot of time lately focusing on that topic. It's normal I suppose, seeing as I am a mother. As the kids get older, it seems to me that it gets more and more difficult to know if what you are in fact doing or saying is the right thing to do or say and how will it effect them in the future? One never knows but it sure doesn't help all of the second guessing and questioning that goes on in the here and now.

The latest "am I a bad or overprotective parent" moment came yesterday when the kids came home from camp with a flier regarding a trip to Canobie Lake Park slated for this Friday. Here's the thing...I don't want them going. If they don't go they will just partake in the everyday camp activities so it is not like they won't be having a fun day anyway.

Why don't I want them going? There are a few reasons but lets start with Katherine. It's a HUGE waste of money. She doesn't go on any rides that aren't "Merry Go Roundish" in nature (read: no thrill rides, even mild ones). She also is the type of person who can't function on a messed up sleep schedule and the bus isn't getting back until midnight. We also have plans the next day so sleeping in wouldn't be an option, even if staying up late in "kid time" actually meant sleeping in on the other end. With Emily my concerns are completely different. See, the one area in which I am not overprotective (and some may argue I should be) is when it comes to Emily and amusement park rides. When I (or another family member adult) am with her, I generally let her go on whatever rides she wants to, seizure warning or not. Basically as long as she meets the height requirements, I am fine. Seriously, if the kid is brave enough to do these rides I am not going to stop her. If she randomly started having seizures again or had one on a ride, of course the story would be different but, as of this coming October, she will be seizure free for three years. The only thing about this trip that is getting to me is that a family member won't be present. Of course the Parks Department staff know she has Epilepsy but I just don't feel comfortable letting her go. As for the late bus, Emily could easily pull an all nighter and be fine the next day so that concern is not there. Even if I put my fears of Emily going without a family adult, I couldn't rightfully let her go and not Katherine.

So I feel awful and horrible and mean and rotten but I am not letting either of them go.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, i feel the same way, i wouldnt let my kids go either. i am over protective a bit and lealrnign to let go little by little but that would be something i wouldnt let them go w/out us.

    They will be upset and/or sad but they will get over it. (sorry that sounds harsh not meant to)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say they'll have plenty of opportunities to go places like that over the years, as they get older, so it's not a big deal to miss this one when there's good reason to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed.

    My mantra lately has been "protect the sleep at all costs." Seriously, the late night alone would make me say no. It's not worth it, whether they know it or not.

    ReplyDelete