Monday, February 25, 2002

Security Breach


Here I am...writing to you on Massachusetts soil...at work no less. Ok, I know that you all missed me terribly and are looking for the Florida review and I promise, it is coming...and soon. Before I do that though I have a story about airport security that is worth one entry in itself.
Ryun brought a carry on bag containing his state elevator testing materials, assorted pens and pencils, a stapler, and a staple remover. Logan to Orlando: no problems. Leaving Orlando, Ryun's bag was "xrayed" and apparently they saw something suspicious in it so they had to manually check it. While it was being examined I said to Ryun, "I wonder what is in your bag that they are questioning?" The woman checking his bag said in a very accusatory tone, "A small leatherman perhaps?" A leatherman is a small hand held tool. Ryun had to take his shoes off and was scanned with a wand. It turned out to be the staple remover. Apparently, the FAA bans it because it is a sharp object. Yeah, let me gouge your eye out with a staple remover. Whatever, better safe than sorry I guess. They confiscated it and we boarded. As we were boarding we noticed a sign that said, "Newly allowed carry on items." Don't you worry my beauty conscious readers, according to the sign, it is now legal to bring an eyelash curler on board. Thank God because damn, I was concerned that mine may have straightened while on board. Phew.
Anyway, my point in telling you this? The "heightened security" at Logan missed the illegal staple remover. Pretty scary...Logan is one of the airports that allowed numerous terrorist through that subsequently high jacked two planes, killing thousands. Obviously, Ryun had no intentions of using the staple remover as a weapon but, if he got on with that, it makes you wonder what else could get by. I don't know...you would think that things would be a bit improved, or you would hope anyway.
Ok, so tomorrow be faithful readers I will share the intimate (well maybe not intimate) details of our trip and you will get the official Florida Review! YIPEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment