Monday, April 30, 2007

HELP!

We spent the day yesterday at my parents time share on the cape. Most of our time was spent in the pool as it was a little too cold to be out at the beach. The kids had fun of course, but they kept asking if we could just go out to the sand for a little while, just to play. So I gave in and gave them 5 minutes. It wasn't worth fighting over and it really wasn't a big deal if they were out there for a little while.

So anyway, I told them while we were standing on the deck, getting ready to head out that there would be no going in the water allowed, even with just their feet. It was too cold, it was just a quick bit of time in the sand and that was it. What was the first thing Emily did when she got out there? Flip her shoes off and run to the water. I told her if she pulled something like that again, she would have to go back in to the community room right away, and have no time to play in the sand. A few minutes later, I made the announcement that it was time to go in and Emily, ran to the water again. AGAIN. After I just spoke to her about it. Of course, being as smart as she is, she did wait until the end of our time there, when I couldn't punish her by saying she would have to go in to the community room since we were done and going in anyway. I wouldn't put it past Emily to have that thought run through her mind, in the brief time between the first incident and the second. "Hmm, Mom said if I did it again, I was going in. I will just wait until we are going in anyway, and do it then." As we were heading back in, I pulled my mother aside and explained what happened. Then, I asked her, in an exasperated tone, "How did I get a kid like this?" Because seriously, when I tell you that I listened to my parents and did what I was told, I am not lying. You can ask them. I was the easy kid(well, at least until I went to college, but that's another entry for another time). Anyway, we looked at each other, my mother and I and said, almost at the same time, "Ryun."

I have heard the stories people (kitchen floors getting lit on fire, condoms found in the drawers of his parents being used as water balloons, climbing in to dumpsters...you name it he did it).

I relayed this story to Ryun today, and he said, "I eventually learned." Eventually to him was once he hit adulthood, and, even he admits adulthood was basically when I found out I was pregnant. I was pregnant when he was twenty three years old. Twenty three years old! So I ask you (and I should have asked him), Is this supposed to be reassuring in some way? She is only 10. Are you trying to tell me there could be thirteen more years of this?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Parenting? It's a tough job.

1 comment: