Saturday, August 24, 2013

Recipe

I have been testing out different recipes lately.  I am sick of cooking the same old things and it just so happens I actually enjoy cooking more when I am trying something new.  Lately, the focus has been on breakfast.  With the start of school just around the corner, I have been looking for quick and easy recipes that can be ready to go in the morning, and possibly even taken to go.  Getting my older two to eat breakfast is something akin to pulling teeth.  They don't enjoy cereal (unless I buy the kind that basically equates to giving them a bowl full of sugar which I refuse to do) an they don't want to take the time to make anything else.  In the case of my oldest, I can understand that.  She has to be up at 5:45 to catch the bus as it is.  I have a collection of recipes that I plan to try on the kids over the next week so we will have a few (I hope) keepers for the start of the school year. 

The first one I have tried is definitely not up there on the healthy side but it does have apples!  Oh, and it was delicious. I substituted gluten free oats so Julia could enjoy this as well (Oats do not actually contain gluten but have a very high chance of cross contamination due to the fields they are grown in.  The oats I buy are grown in fields that do not grow wheat or other gluten containing grains). 

 
Apple Oats Crock

Place 2 sliced apples, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch salt in the bottom of the crock pot.
Pour in 2 cups of oatmeal, 2 cups of milk and 2 cups water.
Do NOT stir.
Cook overnight for 8 - 9 hours on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment